Sunday, February 06, 2011

Central


I've been up in Wanaka at the opening of Sculpture in Central Otago - 36 artworks in dialogue with earth and sky in the spectacular Rippon vineyard. Have a look-see. . . 



details from Thunderhead by Gary Baynes
2400 x 1200 x 350MM - Corten steel    




(one of four 'contained' ceramic forms titled Things by Cheryl Lucas) 
(My name for this piece. . . Cloud Spill)





Tall Poppies (details x 2) - Jane Downes 2011 
800 x 1200 x 1200MM - Powder-coated steel




Autumn Perception - Russell Beck 2011 
1350 x 1750 x 315MM - Galvanized mild steel




I spent a long while lying on the grass inside this transparent cathedral -


Cathedra Domine - Rosie Petterson 2006
5000 x 8000 x 6000MM - steel rod & tube




A woman I met whilst walking the 1.5km trail told me her thirty-six-year-old daughter was in need of a man in her life. She decided to buy her daughter one of these well-dressed Lego fellows 'to get by with in the meantime'. . .


Fit the Mould - Hamish Jones 2010
920 x 490 x 260MM - Fibreglass, acrylic paint & resin





Vineyard hilltop overlooking Lake Wanaka.




When I arrived home, the simple pleasure of finding a dozen or so ripe cherry tomatoes in my glasshouse. . . 




14 comments:

  1. Mmmm...I could spend a long time there.
    I love the Tall Poppies. And the mother's sense of humour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A low maintence man, but high dollar to start with.Lovely works, the cathedral had a lot of charm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, Claire, a place for a cathedral if there ever was one. So much beauty under the heavens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you.. that was a lovely walk around the art. I love the cathedral. How wonderful. Now I must go the The Waitakaruru Sculpture Park.. you've just reminded me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dinah - I chuckled at this mother's humour, too. Would that it was quite that easy, eh? (How're you doing in the snow? You haven't posted in recent days. . . hope the muff is doing its job?!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve - I love how you put it, for 'tis exactly so! A low maintenance man to start with, but first, a (not unreasonably) substantial investment up-front! The cathedral was a combination of whimsical, fantastical and profound. It had great presence and, when standing in the heart of the space, a reverberation that reminded me of the energy of deep forests.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Sparrow - what you say is true and I caught a whiff of it this weekend; so much beauty under the heavens. There was something very poignant about this human-scale cathedral; it was like a spindly ship that had drifted quietly across the lake and moored itself on the bank, without anyone knowing how or when it got there. It would be wonderful if the cathedral could live there long-term. The sculptor married her beloved in her creation a couple of years ago. They set it up in an old warehouse; said their fascination for apparent opposites meant it made good sense to do that - a way of transforming an industrial space into a sacred one. You would have loved it, Melissa xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joan - ah, lucky you to be able to walk around the Waitakaruru Sculpture Park. . . I wonder what riches you encountered? Rosie's cathedral was indeed wonderful - a small, soaring surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For a moment I thought the tomatoes were a sculpture, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, but they are, dear Catherine. They are. . the tempting edible kind. L, C

    ReplyDelete
  11. NIce bit of pettery with your toms, too! I like the top pic of Thunderhead - looks like a whale bone, else a big wishbone...who got the bigger half?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Claire,

    You go to all the cool places. Thanks for bringing us virtually along.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Rachel - 'pettery' is a wonderful word; your own? I did a quick Google search and found a Melinda Pettery on Facebook, but little else. If 'pettery' = pretty pottery, I must agree. Grandmother's favourites.

    This detail of Thunderhead does indeed resemble a whale bone, or a wish bone. . . I reckon all those of us looking on and through it came away with the bigger bit. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear John - always a pleasure to walk with you. I'm glad that you have come. L, C

    ReplyDelete